My name is Elsa.
I am a translator (with a Licenciatura in Languages and Literature, major in Translation, from Universidade Nova de Lisboa, 1999) and language teacher (certified Alliance Française, Paris and Universidade Independente, Lisbon) with a special flair for e-elarning and trainers' training (Universidade Aberta, Lisbon).
I also trained in Writing for Television and Cinema (Universidade Lusófona) and in Theatre (Cours Florent) .
My professional expertise is built over 20 years across the globe, for a variety of clients and learners (companies and high schools in Lisbon and Grenoble; the European Institutions in Brussels and Luxembourg; the Instituto Camões of Portugal in their location in Goa, India; the University of Salamanca, Spain; Bayer in Nunhems in The Netherlands...)
I specialised in translating literature (see my dedicated website, Linguaetcetera) and translating and writing about Travel and Lifestyle contents (a broad field including tourism, transportation, food, wine, art, culture...) as well as horto-floriculture (impossible to escape my agricultural roots).
The entertainment industry makes up for the rest of my working time (subtitling and translating for voice-over) as well as lending my voice to podcasts, corporate recordings and videos, audio-books and more.
Along the way, I've built a network of colleagues, experts in a variety of fields, with whom I can consult or to whom, when needed and always with my clients' consent, I can delegate work.
I am perfectly bilingual in French and Portuguese, and have acquired a high fluency in English, Spanish and Dutch.
I am also a mother and choose to work from home (Eindhoven, The Netherlands) as much as possible to be more available for my family.
Fortunately, I enjoy as much working alone on my computer as I thrive on the energy of a classroom or a brainstorming session with fellow translators and copywriters.
Let see together what I can do for you. Contact me here.
* English IELTS C1 , 09/16
What can I do for you?
Scroll down for more detailed information.
Areas of expertise:
- I work in a network of professionals of all languages and I can recommend you someone or, for a fee, manage your project and find the right translator and proofreader for your needs.
- I have a dedicated website for book translation (fiction, non-fiction), it's Linguaetcetera. Click here to be redirected.
- Translation: your text is in English, Dutch, Spanish, French or Portuguese (the source language) and you need to have it in French or Portuguese (the target language, your clients). You require precision in all the data and want it to read as if it had been written in the target language all along. The end product will look a lot like the original, structure and all.
- I can translate about 200 to 350 words per hour, for a total of 2000 to 3000 words per day maximum.
- Your translated text will always be delivered double checked by me and as mistakes and typo free as humanly possible. However, the only way to guaranty 100% clean text is to have it proofread by another set of eyes. If you do not have such professional at hand, I can take care of that for you. I work with a number of trusted colleagues, for an additional fee.
- Transcreation : it's translation with wings. Your end product will still convey all you want to say, convey all the data you need and is in your source text, but it will probably look different, maybe shorter or longer, be more in tune with the latest cultural norms or a specific target audience. Think how slogans and catch- phrases are adapted to local markets. Because it's a more creative process than translation, it can take longer. I typically charge per hour for this kind of task.
- Proofreading: it's when your text is almost ready, just needs to be checked for typos, light grammatical errors and distracted mistakes. If your text is well translated by a human translator and not a machine (Google Translate or similar), it's a quick job. I usually charge per word. But I'll charge per hour if the text is too full of mistakes, if it has been translated by a non professional, and also if the text is translated by a machine, as it often requires so much work that it might be wiser and cheaper for you to have it retranslated.
- I can proofread between 1000 to 2000 words per hour, depending on the quality of the translation.
- Machine Translation Post Editing (which is described as proofreading a translation produced via Google Translate and similar) also known as MTPE is not proofreading, it's closer to editing.
- Editing: when your text needs to be reorganized and reworked, that's editing. It takes more time than proofreading, that's why I charge per hour.
- Copywriting: you have a set of predefined topics and terms, you need a text to sell your product. It's a creative task with a commercial target. I charge per hour or per piece.
- Writing : You need someone to write post for a blog or a newsletter, to write about your life or that of someone you love, or you have a brilliant idea for a book but you don't know how to go about it. Ask me. I can write for you if you want it in French or Portuguese, but I can also recommend a few trusted colleagues for any other language. This is typically charged per word or per piece, with or without royalties rights. A contract must be discussed.
I lend my voice to your projects
Narration and voice-over in 2 languages:
What type of recordings?
Home studio for high quality sound. No music editing.
Let me know what you need, when you need it done, and I'll send you a complete quote, per minute , per word or per piece, according to the type of project.
I help you learn another language
Tell me what you need, when you need it and I'll send you a tailor-made proposal of training.
Remember the launch of PepsiCo in China, when their slogan "Come alive with Pepsi" was very unfortunately translated as "Pepsi brings your ancestors back from the dead"? Or when Taco Bell decided that using Google Translate for their website was good enough only to end up with pearls like “Low quality chips” for their “Cheesy chips”?
Of course, these mishaps have been corrected, but at what cost?
You can find at the tip of a Google search many examples of such costly blunders, and one fact emerges every time: they took a slogan or a product name or a marketing strategy that took months to be developed by a team of highly paid specialists and had it translated, whether by a machine or a non specialist, in a tight deadline, and often at the cost of a per word fee.
You might not be PepsiCo or Taco Bell but your company deserves better.
Copywriting, transcreating, translating, voiceover, dubbing, and teaching, are crafts requiring time and skills deserving of a fair payment in line with the benefits you'll be reaping of a job well done.
The process of knowing how much what you need will cost you, starts with an assessment of your needs, your timeframe, the product/text/any other material you might have. Maybe even a meeting, in person or via video call.
I'll proceed sending you a quotation with my most adequate offer.
There will be no hidden costs and no bad surprises.
Just ask me.
Frequently asked questions
Your needs. Our ideas. My words and my voice.
At your service.
or during business hours call me at +31652262032 with the following information about your text or project :
- From which language into which language / what language training / what language for your recording
- What is the topic /area of expertise
- How many words does it have / what is the duration of the recording / how many hours of training and for how many participants
- For when do you need it translated / recorded / when would you start the lessons
- Ideally, a fragment of the text or the text itself to evaluate more accurately the work to be done.
- Your contact details (Your name, your company's name, company address, email, and VAT number if you have one).
I'll send you a detailed quote within the hour during business hours.
If it's urgent, just send me a message via Whatsapp.
Op deze website worden marketing- en traceringstechnologieën gebruikt. Als u deze optie uitschakelt, wordt u uitgesloten van alle cookies, behalve de cookies die nodig zijn om de website te laten werken. Attentie: sommige producten kunnen minder goed werken zonder tracking cookies.Afmelden voor cookies